Date:      Mon, 08 Dec 97 15:33:21
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <reyesf@super.zippo.com>
To:        "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "sue@welearn.com.au" <sue@welearn.com.au>
Subject:   Re: frying pan to fire?

>From: Sue Blake <sue@zip.com.au>
>Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 07:51:48 +1100 (EST)

>I have some decisions to make before upgrading to 2.2.5 CD

In my opinion the first thing you need to do is to make sure you
backup all your essential files:
/etc (completely with sub directories too, but specially /etc/ppp),
all your home directories (in particular shell initialization files
such as .profile, .login, etc..)configuration files for any program
you use (ie .fvwmrc if you use fvwm2).

Second thing would be to asses what programs you have. For packages
you can do pkg_info -ia. Not really sure about ports. Dont' backup
anything you can get from CD or Internet (given it is not too huge).
My last install I backed up my files to a couple of floppies. The
rest was things that I could get off the CD or the net.

>Intention: Get rid of Linux, gain 1gb. Upgrade to 2.2.5 CD and configure
>for new permanent modem connection.
>I could perhaps leave the 2.2.2 alone, it works, my data's there, and
>install 2.2.5 on the Linux drive, make a fresh start, copy old stuff over
>as required, and later on reformat and acquire the extra 1 gb space from
>sd0. A sloppy but comfortable method initially. Later I'll need to know
>how to reformat and incorporate the old 2.2.2 drive into a working 2.2.5.

My recommendation....
I think your stated approach above is partially your best option.
Get sd1 going, migrate your data from sd0 using whatever backup media
you used to store your primary files. I recommend this so you make
sure you backed up all necessary files.  Practice seting sd1 up, a
week later blow away the FreeBSD space on sd0 and use sd1 too at that
stage. The reasoning behind this is that you can experiment with sd1
and make sure you have a reasonable backup and then come up with a
strategy which is best suited for your needs.

I am not sure of the terminology but.... To reuse you 2.2.1 FreeBSD
and the new you only need to delete the old file systems and make new
ones. No need to re-partition. Use the same spaces that were
previously used. This is MUCH safer than going at re-partitioning the
exact same space.

Once you have both drives ready to make new file systems put some
swap spaces on both drives. From what I have read you can gain some
performance by doing this.

You may also want to consider using sd2 (or part of it) to have a
"play" FreeBSD setup where you can install new releases, etc, etc..
etc... On my case I have lost data so many times that I have learn to
backup anything important (usually small files anyway). I always do
my installs from "scratch". No upgrades, no migration. I start with
making new filesystems. So far no problems.

Good luck and Backup, Backup, Backup!
>From the 7 times I have completely lost data in hard drives only once
it was a problem (disk died). The rest of the times it was me who
managed to delete entire drives by doing mistakes (ie trying to
install a different boot manager other than OS/2's).