Date:      Sat, 22 Dec 2001 20:42:04 -0500
From:      Jud <judmarc@earthlink.net>
To:        "Emil" <fenomeno1986@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sounds bad

On Sat, 22 Dec 2001 19:46:05 +0100 "Emil"
<fenomeno1986@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I'm trying to configure my soundBlaster 128 under
>FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE. I have compiled my kernel lots of times,
>adding "device pcm", "device pcm0", "device pcm1" or "device
>pcm0 at isa? ...", but it doesn't work. When I compile the
>kernel, run it, and i make the devide "snd0" or "snd1" in
>/dev/ with MAKEDEV, and I try to load the module snd_es137x,
>I get these errors:
[snip]
> pcm0: <Creative CT5880-C> at device 12.0 on pci0
> pcm0: unable to map register space
> device_probe_and_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6
[snip]
> pcm0: <Creative CT5880-C> at device 12.0 on pci0
> pcm0: unable to map register space
> device_probe_and_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6

I may be able to help with part of this.  I have on-board sound at
pcm0 as well as a SoundBlaster 16PCI (ES1373) card at pcm1.  The
system was defaulting to the onboard sound, but I prefer the card.
 This is what I did to the relevant part of my kernel last night,
and it seems to have worked:

# Sound
device            pci0
device            pcm0    at pci0 disable irq 10
device            pcm1    at pci0 irq 5

Since dmesg says your card at pcm0 is on pci0, I think you would
want to use "at pci0" rather than "at isa?" to describe the card's
location. In turn, you'll also have to include "device pci0" so
"at pci0" is defined.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough to tell you why you're getting
the "attach returned 6" or "unable to map register space" errors
in your dmesg, so I can't help resolve that problem.  Perhaps some
kind person will post and let us both know?

Jud