Date:      Mon, 20 May 2002 13:04:45 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>, ia64@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/boot/efi/libefi copy.c elf_freebsd.c src/sys/boot/ia64/libski copy.c elf_freebsd.c src/sys/ia64/acpica madt.c src/sys/ia64/ia64 interrupt.c machdep.c mem.c mp_machdep.c trap.c unwind.c src/sys/ia64/include cpufunc.h db_machdep.h ...

Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 12:40:53PM -0700, Peter Wemm wrote:
> > Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> > > In message <20020520184216.GC92102@gauss.cup.hp.com>, Marcel Moolenaar wr
    ites
> >     :

> > > Peter pointed me at the spec, there is more to it than that.
> >
> > It's the EFI GUID partition table (GPT) stuff we're talking about.
>
> That figures. I can't remember seeing a machine with a GPT. I wouldn't
> even know how to create one, as I'm not aware any tools exist for that.

Basically write some userland tools to create it according to the specs and
make sure EFI likes it. It Shouldn't Be *That* Hard(TM) :-).

It's a convenient time to do it since it's pure 64 bit, and with the UFS2 and
large file system stuff in the pipeline, it would be convenient to not have
to invent Yet Another Proprietary Format.

Cheers,
-Peter