Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 09:26:30 +0100
From:      Marius Bendiksen <Marius.Bendiksen@scancall.no>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, joelh@gnu.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on i386 memory model

>No.  Have you even read this thread?

Yes.

>This thread is about whether to expend significant effort and
>sacrifice significant elegance and maintainability in order to
>_slightly_ _optimize_ system calls for 486 systems.  It has nothing
>to do with whether we support 486 systems or not.

I know that. I'm simply wondering how much extra complexity we would be
adding, and what kind of impact it would have on syscall times. And, if
you've read the thread yourself, you'll see that the answer I recieved some
time ago indicated that we didn't want to do this because it applied to the
486, it did not say 'we don't want to add this complexity for such a small
performance gain on the 486'.

---
Marius Bendiksen, IT-Trainee, ScanCall AS <marius@scancall.no>