Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 04:36:49 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Subject:   Re: IBM Thinkpad suspending to 165 (was Re: Partition (Slice) tables)

Terry Lambert wrote:

> The place this has been reported is with a ThinkPad A320, in
> a "dangerously dedicated" mode, without a DOS partititon table,
> and without a "suspend to disk" partitition.  You can get the
> details from the advocacy list archives.
>
> In general, the "suspend to disk" function apparently looks for
> the first non-DOS, non-Extended, non-Linux partition, and will
> stomp its suspend image there.
>
> So the upshot is "if you do something other than an industry
> standard DOS Partitition table on a ThinkPad A320, BIOS version
> indeterminate, AND you fail to reserve space for the ``suspend
> to disk'' function prior to the FreeBSD partitition, then it will
> happily stomp the FreeBSD partitition".
>
> Or in simpler terms, "What part of ``_dangerously_ dedicated''
> did you not understand?".

I don't understand what does dangerously dedicated has to do with this.
If I partition my disk half Windows/half FreeBSD, or even if I have a
sole FreeBSD partition, I'm not using dangerously dedicated mode, and
still, by your description of the problem, can be affected.

Do you have the subject of the thread where this was reported?

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	the ants all left because mtn. dew is sold out again