Date:      Fri, 1 Mar 2002 11:31:07 -0000
From:      "James Green" <james@stealthnet.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: out of memory, but there's plenty left!

> 	I'm running into a problem with my g++ code running out of memory
> that might or might not be FreeBSD's fault.  The program says, "out of
> memory" and dumps core when it gets to about 512MB in size, but there is
> plenty of RAM and swap space left.  Here is the output from 'top' just
> before it crashes:

[ snip ]

> 	I am fairly certain that the program is NOT simply running away
> and asking for 12GB of RAM at this point in the program because I have
> been tweaking it, trying to get it to use less memory and as I have done
> so it crashes at later and later points in the program (thus implying an
> incremental memory request is sinking the code).

I had a new server that I was compiling apache on. It has 256MB of ram, and
kept bombing out at different points of compilation with Sig 11s or
something. Turned out to be faulty RAM, a very common symptom and problem
apparently.

Maybe swap the RAM chips for known working ones and see if it resolves the
problem?

James Green
Stealthnet.co.uk