Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 2002 14:00:50 +0100
From:      TooManySecrets <toomany@toomany.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fwd: Re: Serious problem installing freebsd into a...

That is the thread about my question with Kent.

TooManySecrets wrote:
> Hi!!
>
> My name is Manuel Trujillo, from Spain. First, I will apologize about m=
> english... sorry :(
> Well, I use freebsd since february-2002, and I'm very happy with it. Bu=
t my
> problem is now, when I change my pc hardware.
> I've a SIS 648 MAX motherboard, whit the SIS648 driver, a Seagate 80Gb =
7200
> rpm hard drive, Creative nvidia Ti4400 and a Pentium 4 2'4Mhz with 533 =
fsb.
> Well, when I try to install freebsd in it, I obtain this message:
>
> ad0: READ command timeout tag=3D0 serv=3D0 - resetting
> ata0: resetting devices...

Hola Manuel,

Are you using ATA-100 or ATA-133 cables to hook your Maxtor to the SIS
motherboard. Don't connect your CDROM on the same controller as your HD.

What do you have in your /boot/loader.conf. The following are possible.

ruby# m loader.conf
# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
userconfig_script_load=3D"YES"
hw.ata.atapi_dma=3D"1"
ruby# sysctl -a | grep hw.ata
hw.ata.ata_dma: 1
hw.ata.wc: 1
hw.ata.tags: 0
hw.ata.atapi_dma: 1

BTW, I have one of those motherboards but haven't tried to replace my
gateway with it. I have 4 machines with SIS-645.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

--=20
(Acentos y enyes han sido omitidos intencionadamente por el uso de un tec=
lado=20
ingles)
Have a nice day :-)
TooManySecrets