Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 12:03:37 -0400
From:      Steve Tremblett <sjt@cisco.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   OT: current hard disks & old EIDE controllers?

This is slightly offtopic, but I figure a lot of you people know
PCs well.

I'm totally out of the loop in the PC world, and the last machine I
bought was a P75 (which I still use) - the time has come to get a new
hard disk, but I don't know what all these technologies are.  I don't
know much about current trends, but all the drives I see are UDMA or
ATA66.  I know that (E)IDE is backwards compatible with the original
ATA, so that would suggest that this ATA66 stuff is as well, but I
really don't know.

Are current IDE-derived drives compatible with old EIDE controllers?
Will my BIOS freak out or does it matter?  Are there any issues
with running FreeBSD in a system like this?

thanks to any and all responses

--
Steve Tremblett
Cisco Systems