Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 1997 16:44:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu
Cc:        dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LaTeX2e-97.06

 * To do it properly, you would have to build, install, package and
 * remove each port separately instead of building all, then
 * packaging all. I don't know if the package building for the
 * releases was fixed in this respect....if not, I'll bet that is
 * the problem.

That is not the only problem.  If you have one version of tex
installed, and try to build an incompatible version of latex, you are
toast.  You need to build the matching tex/latex in pairs.

I use a script that does exactly this to build the various *tex
packages (tex vs. teTeX in print, plus the zillions in japanese/...).

Satoshi