Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 1997 19:07:00 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C2 Trusted FreeBSD?

(trimmed to -security only)

Christopher Petrilli writes:

> THat having been said, there is one other requirement that would need to
> be addressed:
>
>      * Object Reuse (2.2.1.2)
>
> THis is defined as follows:
>
> "All authorizations to the information contained iwthin a storage object
> shall be revoked prior to initial assignment, allocation or reallocation
> to a subject from the TCB's pool of unused storage objects. No
> information, including encrypted representations of information, produced
> by a prior subject's actions is to be available to any subject that
> obtains access to an object that has been released back to the system."
>
> Basically, we need to purge all memor when it is allocated, or
> deallocated.

I haven't been able to prove this isn't done already in FreeBSD. Had to
write for our security officer some trivial code to explore and
demonstrate what happens when a process steps outside of its allocated
memory. Ran it under Solaris 2.5.1, Irix 6.2, and FreeBSD 2.2.
Everything (that didn't "segmentation violation") came up zeros. Now
I'd be the last person to claim this proved anything other than the
fact that I'm able to write programs that signal-11.  :-)

Remember finding in the documentation for Trusted Irix where they were
discussing item by item how Trusted Irix meets spec (NISPOM or Orange
book, I forget) there was a specific mention that Irix did not clear
objects on release, but always cleared prior to allocation. The
certifying agency accepted this deviation.

As others have mentioned, one doesn't really have a C2, B1, or A1
system unless one exactly replicates the certified system, hardware,
and configuration. From what I've seen a Security Officer outlines
what is expected in the way of security features and procedures. Then
expects the adminstrator of the system to formally document how the
system will comply. So SGI and Sun write security manuals with an eye
for being quoted.

Depends on your environment, but a Security Officer may accept the
claims of an administrator that his documented procedures and
software meets the security requirements, even without formal
compliance certification.

The One Thing FreeBSD lacks that has prevented me from attempting
to place it in a particular environment is audit trails. Specifically
we only need to log all "access denied" failures, such as the above
mentioned segmentation violations, file access, priviledged opcodes,
etc. Don't believe I was required to, but did anyway, log setuid
transitions.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net