Date:      Fri,  5 May 1995 18:45:52 +0400
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage" <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, current@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Great Renaming of ttyd* and cua* Yet Again

In message <199505051159.VAA20100@godzilla.zeta.org.au> Bruce Evans
    writes:

>We now have or will have some new h/w tty drivers that have more consistent
>names for the devices:

>		callin		callout		initial		lock
>Cyclades:	ttyc[0-v]	cuac[0-v]	ttyic*,cuaic*	ttylc*,cualc*
>Riscom:        ttyr[0-v]       n/a             n/a             n/a
				^^^^^^^^^
				cuar[0-v]

>I think the names and control interfaces should be:

>Foo:		ttyF[0-v]	cuaF[0-v]	ttyFi*,cuaFi*	ttyFl*,cuaFl*

>This mainly affects sio.  It's confusing to have `d' and `a' ttys being
>fore the `sio' driver.  `s' wouldn't be much better because the sio driver
>is for xxx50 chips and not for all serial chips.  I intend to reorganize
>the driver and this distinction will be clearer - sio.c will have the
>generic serial stuff and nsxxx50.c will have the xxx50 stuff; sio.c will
>be used by cy.c...  So sio devices should be renamed ttyn*.

I think it will be easy to name xxx50 entries as ttyd? and cuad?,
it is many places in system which relays on ttyd? to rename all
of them.

>This doesn't solve the problem of naming lots of devices.  I don;t have
>a good solution.  The sio encoding limits the number of ports to 32, but
>this should change soon.  The Cronyx device numbering takes too much

minor macro can be easily change to more devices: we have at leats
big letters unused.

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -