Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 1998 21:37:46 -0800
From:      Chuck Grimes <cgrimes@nature.berkeley.edu>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP problem (again)

At 11:08 PM 1/19/98 +0000, you wrote:

>Are you trying to type these commands at the ppp prompt ?  The ppp
>prompt is for controlling ppp.  You need to switch to another
>terminal if you want to run ftp, telnet etc.
>
>The bit about /etc/resolv.conf is correct.
>
>--
>Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <brian@OpenBSD.org>
>      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;

Brian,

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't realize I needed to switch terminals
(dumb). But, now another problem rears its ugly head. I need to somehow do
a network interface configuration. In the original install menus, I skipped
through the network conf's because this is a single box. So now I need to
go back. I ran the /stand/sysinstall off the cdrom disk 1 and selected
'networking'. The menu asks for host name, domain name, gateway, name
server. My machine is called 'cag' (original huh, short for chuck a.
grimes). Obviously these are arbitrary titles. But somewhere in these
selections I have to fit the real information:

remote: 0.0.0.0      with the ppp.conf script as myaddr, hisaddr--yes? no?

but then somewhere I need to put,

domain: earthlink.net
DNS: 206.85.92.2
          206.85.92.79
          206.85.92.60

The tech at earthlink expected there would be a resolv.conf file in /etc.
No such file (probably because I didn't do a network conf--right?). So now
what? My only thought is to edit the rc.conf and look under network
entries. I am a little worried about screwing around in this file. Any
specific suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

Sorry to need such hand holding, but us unix newbies are rilly dumb.

Chuck Grimes