Date:      Thu, 3 Jun 1999 23:40:13 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com (Jordan Hubbard)
Cc:        eivind@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, dscheidt@enteract.com, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a two-level port system? (fwd)

As Jordan Hubbard wrote ...
> > of useless.  It's like doing uphill testing of a fat guy on a bicycle
> > against a Lamborghini - you "know" the result beforehand.
>
> Unfortunately, what you're probably not aware of is that the fat guy
> also has a JATO unit strapped to the back of his bicycle.  Don't make
> assumptions. :-)

You've been reading too much of the Darwin Awards web site ;-)

> > If extraction of the ports collection (not files in general, just the
> > ports collection) is slower using soft updates than using "async"
> > mode, then it seems some elevator sorting isn't working the way it
>
> Extraction of ALL the distribution bits is faster with async than it
> is with soft updates.  To put it another, more practical, way - if you
> timed the installation with a stopwatch, with or without ports, the
> async policy would win and Kirk has even pointed that out in other
> emails.  Given that, I have to honestly wonder why you've been arguing
> so strongly for soft updates being used in the installation.

Maybe I'm missing the very obvious: I've always considered (and lots
of people who first saw it had the same judgement..) the FreeBSD
installation to be fast.

Even if you could gain, say, a 10% speedup overall, would that be worth the
time/effort?

Just playing the devil's (daemon's?) advocate here...