Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 2002 15:05:18 -0800
From:      walt <wa1ter@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: editting disklabels

Willem Jan Withagen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to edit my disklabels to create some swap on just all of them,
> however when I try to do so, I get:
> ---------------
> files# disklabel -w -B ad4s1 auto
> disklabel: ioctl DIOCSDINFO: open partition would move or shrink
> ---------------
>
> This is in single user mode, with really nothing going on.
> So I fail to see how that can be true....
>
> Any references to these kind of problems thus far have to do with GEOM,
> but this is GENERIC kernel fo 20 dec.

No one who knows anything is awake today, so I'll jump in ;-)

I just finished editing my partition table and disklabel with the
-CURRENT boot/install floppy disks and had no trouble.  I think the
-CURRENT install CD would do the same, of course.

The GEOM code is still changing every day so things are not yet in
finished condition.  If I understand correctly phk will eventually
make it possible to do what you want, but he's not there quite yet.