Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 12:03:27 +0100 (MET)
From:      Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirk.vangulik@jrc.it>
To:        Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reading CIS in kernel

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Scott Mitchell wrote:

> Anyhow, the Linux code supports a whole raft of different Xircom cards,
> which it tells apart by checking various CIS tuples using the Linux Card
> Services stuff.  This is (as far as I can tell) all done inside the kernel,
> and there doesn't seem to be an easy way of doing that in FreeBSD, from my
> reading of the /sys/pccard code.

Yes, actually I communicated with the author of the pcard code, and came
to the same conclusion (I was trying to get to the CIS to configure an IBM
LAN Entry card).

What I do now is an ioctl from userland, and I tried a hack by coping the
bit before the io move in pcic.c. And do simple decoding (all I need is
the MAC address).

But no there is no clean way of doing it. It might be worthwhile to port
the linux Tuple readers into the kernel (just the numeric data). Which
part of the interface do _you_ need ?

Dw.