Date:      Thu, 01 May 1997 14:29:25 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        "Eric J. Chet" <ejc@bazzle.com>
Cc:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freefall.freebsd.org>, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, macgyver@db-net.com, Don@PartsNow.com, hackers@freebsd.org, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7860

Hi,

> > 	what's the skinny on this board.  i am looking to get into
> > 	the smp fray and need a new mobo.
> > jmb
> >

> Hello
> 	Steve turned me on to this board, It's what we use for
> FreeBSD-SMP.  It's a rock solid 430HX board with an onboard 7880 and
> 512k of pipeline burst cache.  Performance is very good.  The only down
> side to this board is it has a ATX form factor but requires a AT
> power supply.

I believe we are talking about the GA586DX here.  I am told that gigabyte
is now shipping a new version that uses the ATX PS connector.  If buying this
board be sure to verify that your vendor will be supplying you with the new
version.

I haven't seen the original mail (from jmb) yet, but as to the issue
of a good SMP mb, I recommend going with the P6 at this point in time.

Gigabyte 686DX Dual Pentium Pro ATX	$ 365
Intel Pentium Pro 166 512K		$ 490
Intel Pentium Pro 166 512K		$ 490
					----
					$1345

Gigabyte GA-586DX-512 Dual Pentium	$315
Intel Pentium 166			$215
Intel Pentium 166			$215
					----
					$745

					$1345
				     -  $ 745
					$ 600

so you have about $600 difference, but for a system that will probably
cost you $3000+ this isn't that much more.  And this will give you a box
thats about TWICE as FAST!!!

  And you could save a few $hundred by going
with the 256k cache versions: Pro 150 256K    $199, actually CHEAPER than
the P5x166 (but avoid 150mHz, means a bus speed of 60mHz vs 66mHz for
166mHz).  This makes the difference almost nil, (but I really recommend
the 512k cache).  You *probably* could overclock 150s to 166, I have been
overclocking my P6-166x512s to 200mHz for almost a month now without any
sign of trouble.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by