Date:      Wed, 24 Dec 1997 04:45:37 +0300
From:      Dmitrij Tejblum <dima@tejblum.dnttm.rssi.ru>
To:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: msdosfs win95 long file name support

Luoqi Chen wrote:

> Dima, don't be so cynical.

Sorry, I didn' want to offend you, really.

> I think technically my solution is better, there's
> still room for improvement though.

There is always a big room for improvement :( :(

See: Wolfgang Solfrank develop msdosfs from 1994. And he still maintain it ---
at least he adds years to his copyright notice :). WS and NetBSD adds support for new
Microsoft stuff soon after Microsoft release these stuff. NetBSD and OpenBSD users
already tested long file name support somehow. So I (as an user) would prefer
Wolfgang's work over your 2 weekend's work. Why change the "professional"
stuff for "homegrown"? For slight performance improvement plus some lack of
correctness? (Both performance and full correctness is not so important for me,
though.)

You say, you can do something better? Sure. But did you tried offer your patches to
NetBSD people? Why not follow the simple rule --- before fixing or improving
a software, get the latest version?

Sorry if above offend you (or somebody else). I actually only want to convince
you that importing NetBSD code again is not so bad idea too. :)

> The problem you mentioned could be easily
> remedied by a bitmap. I didn't do this because I wanted to focus on more
> important issues. After those are working correctly, then I can deal with
> lesser issues like this one.

> There is another feature I programmed in which is (arguably) quite desirable.
> It allows you to change a filename to one that differs only by the case
> of some of the letters. For example, mv README Readme. You cannot do this
> in NetBSD's code (I didn't try this, just by reading their code, so I could
> be wrong). Of course, you can always do, mv README r; mv r Readme.

Yes, this is very desirable (for me, at least), and yes, NetBSD cannot do it.
(Btw, i suspect that their 'do nothing if the files are same' is only a quick fix
for a panic. So, they may want something better too).

I will say you more about bugs in the NetBSD code: for example, it cannot handle
russian filenames :) Apparently, readdir returns something that lookup cannot find. I
suspect that your code do not have this problem: you don't try to recode
filenames, like NetBSD. But in long term perspective, russians filenames
should be recoded, since russian charsets in dos, windows, and unix are
different. NetBSD recode tables simple don't work for russian charsets,
apparently...

... NetBSD fixed some problems with mounting (i hope). (This is post-Lite2
problems, i. e. they don't apply to 2.2...) It may be not so important, of
course, but... again: Lite-2 merge was almost year ago, and since that nobody
fixed the problems. You also haven't fixed them. How can we get them fixed, if
not import the NetBSD code? Note also that the merge is already done...

Dima