Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 1998 22:34:56 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mestery@winternet.com (Kyle Mestery)
Cc:        smp@csn.net, bright@hotjobs.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new compiler?

> > We have a fairly complex system running with 2.2.6, FreeBSD pthreads and
> > g++28.  We tried both the standard compiler and egcs, but neither would
> > compile the complete project, let alone run.  The biggest problem is in
> > the area of c++ templates, g++28 will eat things the other 2 barfed on.
> > We had to make one patch to gcc28 b4 building, and turn on the
> > "GCC28_THREAD_AWARE" define in libc_r to fix the problem with dynamic
> > chain handling.  After this exceptions seem to work properly.
> >
> > My vote would be for gcc28.
>
> My reason's for wanting gcc-2.8.1 also lie along these lines, as we are
> using a cross development environment at work that is complex and utilizes
> a mix of gcc-2.8.1 front end and back-end linker/assembler from WRS,
> targeting arm-wrs-vxworks.  It works quite well, and we have no problems
> with the compiler so far.

To add more fuel to this fire, Whistle also made this dynamic chain
change; I believe it's part of the FreeBSD gcc2.8 port, in fact.  The
Cygnus (egcs) guys didn't want the change because they had "solved"
the problem by making you choose at compile time (per my other post),
and Jeremy didn't want to submit the change to FSF because he didn't
want to drive divergence between the two code bases.  FWIW, I think
Jeremy made the wrong decision, and I would be pleased if the FSF
people would ask him for the change, under the terms of the GPL.  8-) 8-).

The ACAP code makes heavy use of exceptions and threads; as far as I
know, we are the only people who have brought it up using a g++
derived compiler; there were a number of changes having to do with
g++ parsing of the :: namespace escape (ie: it demanded whitespace
changes... bletch 8-)), but that is the only issue I have found so
far with the 2.8.1 compiler.  Most of the other changes were bad link
order assumptions on the part of the ACAP authors and STL pthreads
compliance level (Draft 4 vs. standard) assumptions in the Moscow
Center for SPARC computing's STL (this is the best STL.  Use it.  It
is more portable than the others, and is derived from the SGI and
HP code).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---