Date:      Sun, 13 May 2001 21:19:34 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@grumpy.dyndns.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, bzdik@yahoo.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Crap OS X

Brett Glass writes:
> What is ironic is that none of these are "retro" compared to Windows.
>
> I'm strongly considering getting an iBook just so that I can follow
> OS X, even if it's not perfect. I'm tired of the hardware
> compatibility problems I routinely experience when running UNIX-like
> OSes on Intel-based laptops.... And OS X would make it possible to
> run a good GUI and mainstream commercial GUI applications without
> risking the many problems caused by Windows emulation. Between MacOS
> and UNIX applications, I think I'd be a happy camper. Comments?

My Titanium PowerBook G4-400 cost $2600 but http://www.outpost.com/ threw
in overnight shipping, leather carrying case, and an extra 128MB of RAM
(for 256MB). Then another $100 or so for MacOS X because they don't ship
it standard, yet. While that's more than an iBook or G4 desktop, I've
never had a laptop before. Love it. Also buy a Logitech Optical Wheel
Mouse, the blue/silver one which is "PS2/USB Compatible". At $30 its at
least as good as Apple's $60 mouse, and slides better.

So far I've only taken time to "play" with it. Played with MacOS X Public
Beta before and dual booted that installation. Still haven't fully
comprended how Apple moved the 9.1 stuff around when they installed X.
Part of my problem is I have about 10 years of history in the Mac files I
drag around. Is terribly easy to buy a new machine with bigger HD, drag
the entire old HD to a folder in the new, and everything works. So I have
about 3 folders of prior machines that I ought to spend a couple of days
cleaning out. Have long since thrown away the System Folders but keep a
stuffed copy as there is no telling what Preferences file I might need
later for having forgotten a serial number.

The shareware DropStuff utility is essential. The full StuffIt Deluxe is
less essential but adds more compatibility such as tar. And probably
gzip. Not really sure as I have the full thing.

Retrospect from Dantz is about the only Mac backup utility available. Its
that good. Its really good. I have a 3-pack of Mac remotes and 5-pack of
PC remotes. My 9.1 Mac does automatic nightly backups of 3 machines at
work. Writes the backups via ftp on a couple of FreeBSD machines.

Have always like Nisus for word processing. http://www.nisus.com/. While
I own the 5.0 version I use the 4.1.6 free-for-download version. Will
wait on a full native MacOS X version of 6.x before considering an
upgrade. Not sure how 4.1.6 behaves under the X Classic environment.

Think I need to look into integrating GnuPG with X's Mail. I think there
isn't enough time in the week to play with all my toys.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net