Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 1997 23:08:55 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        ccsanady@bob.scl.ameslab.gov (Chris Csanady)
Cc:        brandon@roguetrader.com, wilko@yedi.iaf.nl, tlambert@primenet.com, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Known problems with async ufs?

> Hopefully, this will not be an issue for long considering Kirk's soft
> updates work.

Hopefully it will be a general soloution, and not a specific soloution
like the SVR4 UFS soloution in Appendix A of the Ganger/Patt paper.

If it's not a general soloution, then you will need to maintain one
set of ufs code for ffs to use, and another for lfs and the others
that currently rely on the ufs code as well.

It will also mean that there are no hooks to guarantee transactions
are idempotent (multiple atomic transactions considered as an
all-or-nothing unit) for something like a user accessible transaction
tracking system.

Finally, it will mean that the problem was not solved as a list of
order-dependency vectors, and it will just as much of a problem to
add support to other FS's as it was to add to ffs.  8-(.

Better to not rush him and to let him get it right...

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---