Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 2002 03:30:47 -0700
From:      Bill Huey (Hui) <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Pierre Beyssac <beyssac@enst.fr>
Cc:        Frank Mayhar <frank@exit.com>, Alp ATICI <atici@cpw.math.columbia.edu>, Ed Yu <edlyu@yahoo.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: About 5.0 and Nvidia drivers

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 11:57:53AM +0200, Pierre Beyssac wrote:
> It does a heavy use of Linux ioctls to call Linux DRM and Linux AGP
> and getting that to run under FreeBSD DRM and FreeBSD AGP ioctls
> is far from easy because the ioctl calling convention is quite
> different. So it's far from what I would call OS- or

Except that there isn't an ioctl() symbol referenced in that binary
module (via 'nm'). It doesn't use external DRM as far as I know (from
asking a person about it), nor AGP. The only AGP function that I see
referenced in that module is the OS independent function to get the
address of the card itself. The intuition here and from the supporting
evidence from the 'nm' output is that you pass it the address of the
card and the binary module does all of that stuff automatically.

The driver was written when DRM and DRI, was kind of screwy in the open
source community so they included a lot proprietary code containing
their own DRM and DRI that can't be publically released. (info also
from the same person)

I understand somebody has got the 2d side of this working in FreeBSD,
but the 3d stuff crashes still.

> architecture-independent stuff. This is for the XFree-server part
> IIRC; the DRI client part is probably much uglier to deal with. So
> essentially the easiest (albeit kludgy) approach is to get that to
> run in a Linux XFree server under the Linux emulator, and even then
> it's much easier said than done.

Last time I heard, XFree had their own linker system. It could mean
they're a bit immune to ELF differences in FreeBSD and Linux. This
is just speculation.

bill