Date:      Mon, 5 Dec 2005 12:16:22 -0600
From:      Josh Tolbert <hemi@puresimplicity.net>
To:        "Michael C. Shultz" <ringworm01@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating Apache 2.0.55 to 2.2.0

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 09:34:56AM -0800, Michael C. Shultz wrote:
> On Monday 05 December 2005 09:21, Matt Sealey wrote:
> > I want to move our server to Apache 2.2.0 that was just released and is now
> > in the ports tree. I am concerned that
> >
> > 1) I have to uninstall Apache 2.0.55 to let the new one install properly
> > 2) it might not build okay and our webserver will be dead while I fix it
> >
> > What exactly is the recommended way to move from apache20 to apache22 in
> > the ports tree, with minimal fuss or downtime? Could I just install with
> > FORCE_PKG_REGISTER=1 and so on, and then remove apache20 from the ports
> > database as a hack? Is that safe?
>
> portmanager (sysutils/portmanager) will handle this for you smoothly,
>
> first backup your original apache like this:
>
> cd /usr/ports/packages/All && pkg_create -b apache-2.0.55
>
> make sure you have a apache-2.0.55.tgz afterwards
>
> then run
>
> portmanager -u -l
>
> portmanager will remove the old apache and install the new one.
>
> If the new version doesn't work for some reason just pkg_delete it and
> pkg_addthe one you backed up:
>
> pkg_add /usr/ports/packages/All/apache-2.0.55.tgz
>
> -Mike

portupgrade has never failed me. One of portupgrade's best-kept secrets (for
those that don't read the man page, anyway) is the -o flag. It's generally as
easy as 'portupgrade -o www/apache2 www/apache22'. Of course, you might want
to see if you need any flags in the apache22 Makefile and season portupgrad to
taste with -m.

Thanks,
Josh
--
Josh Tolbert
hemi@puresimplicity.net  ||  http://www.puresimplicity.net/~hemi/

If your sysadmin's not being fascist, you're paying him too much.
   --Sam Greenfield