Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 1996 10:40:09 +0500 (GMT+0500)
From:      "Serge A. Babkin" <babkin@hq.icb.chel.su>
To:        dgy@rtd.com (Don Yuniskis)
Cc:        mikebo@tellabs.com, freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OSF Micro Kernel for Linux/FreeBSD/etc

> > Is the FreeBSD core team open to the idea of possibly moving to a Mach
> > 3.0 micro-kernel, or is there significant sentimental attachment to
> > the traditional, monolithic BSD kernel?
>
> Um, speaking *mostly* from ignorance but I think Mklinux is implemented
> as a single-server atop Mach.  So, in that sense, it's still a monolithic
> kernel (albeit residing atop a microkernel).  I don't think they've really
> gone too far afield and tried for a multi-server...  Can someone shed any
> more light on this?

I have talked with peoples from DEC Moscow about DigitalUnix (former OSF/1).
They said that the last version of it has monolithic kernel on top of Mach.
They said also that DEC did this for both performance and stability reasons.
So it looks like the microkernel is a bad idea yet. Although, I know that
peoples in DEC Moscow indeed have very little information from DEC about
anything except prices :-) and their words may be completely wrong.

-SB