Date:      Fri, 03 Mar 1995 23:47:27 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), bde@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: backspace now broken

>Please folks, we have a delete key and a backspace key on the PC keyboard,
>they should generate *by default* the correct ascii code for that key.  If
>people like to use ^? for there erase character they should do that remapping
>privately.
>
>This has changed back and forth at least 3 times, probably 4, STOP it is
>a political and personal issue as to what character you like to use for
>stty erase!  But don't make my keyboard lie by default, this is very
>confusing.

   I agree with Rod. People expect backspace to generate a backspace. I admit
that this makes it a pain to work on DEC systems that don't like backspace,
and that VT100 family terminals generate 'delete' for that key...but that's
less important than consistency. Backspace should generate backspace and
delete should generate delete.

-DG