Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 1995 11:52:09 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        User Shepner <shepner@Eris.Manchester.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

First of all, I had to go dig through my back email to find out what you
are talking about.  Using a subject line is a wonderful thing, and
context is even better.

> The suggestion of using tip to connect to the modem and then typing AT&Q
> then AT&W didnt seem to help either.  I tried this with both AT&B1 and AT&B2.

How fast did you connect with tip?

> >ttyd0	"/usr/libexec/getty std.19200" unknown on

ttyd1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.19200" dialup  on

A shot in the dark is to try using the 'dialup' keyword.

I suspect FreeBSD and the modem hardware are not agreeing on something.
I had the exact same problems you had this morning when I moved a modem
from a SUN over to the machine, and I needed to do the advice I gave you
earlier.  However, since I setup the modem on the SUN I know all of the
hardware settings of the modem.

The modem must be setup to:
1) Use Hardware flow control
2) Lock the Computer-Modem speed to the speed of the getty
3) Do NOT ignore DTR
4) Use proper cabling to allow all of the above.

Nate