Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2023 12:03:39 +0100 (CET)
From:      freebsd@oldach.net (Helge Oldach)
To:        hausen@punkt.de (Patrick M. Hausen)
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reviving net-mgmt/observium

Hi Patrick,

Patrick M. Hausen wrote on Fri, 15 Dec 2023 11:13:04 +0100 (CET):
> I just installed Observium community edition manually because the
> port is orphaned and grossly outdated. It also suffers from a fundamental
> problem - the former maintainer decided to decouple the port version from
> the Observium version and use the "latest.tar.gz" download link provided
> by the project.
>
> Of course that breaks every time a new community edition is published.
>
> I checked with the Observium folks on their Discord - they do provide
> versioned stable download links. So that can be considered solved.
>
> The real question I am asking is: is it ok to install everything into
> /usr/local/observium similar to Apache Solr, OpenJDK etc.?
>
> Alternatively one could "rip it apart" and try to separate e.g. the web frontend
> files into /usr/local/www/observium, the executables into /usr/local/libexec, etc.
>
> I would very much prefer the former (everything in one directory). If that is still
> acceptable I can promise continued maintenance and timely updates in return ;-)

First of all thanks for the initiave. Much appreciated.

May I suggest to have the layout in a way that users are also able to
deploy and maintain the scbscription edition (updating through svn)
similarly?

Perhaps a FreeBSD install document similar to the Ubuntu/Debian and
RHEL/CentOS ones on the Observium website would be helpful as well.

Regarding the layout question raised: Most the Observium package is
intended to be run under a webserver. Thus, assuming Apache, the most
natural choice for me would be under /usr/local/www/apache24/data.
There are a few standalone PHP scripts indeed but it probably doesn't
make much sense to move them elsewhere. Maybe a few symlinks, e.g.
/usr/local/bin/add_device -> /usr/local/www/apache24/data/add_device.php
might help?

Just my 2¢ - I'm fine with any choice.

Kind regards
Helge