Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 22:00:28 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        dwyer@serc.rmit.edu.au (Mick Dwyer)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nca (5380) driver and CAM.

Mick Dwyer wrote...
> I've got a pesky SCSI scanner that likes to lock the bus as it
> completes a scan.

i.e., it doesn't disconnect.  :)

> For 2.2.x I just used an old 5380 scsi adaptor for this scanner (on its
> own). Having moved to 3.0 for Advansys SCSI support I find that the nca
> device is nolonger available.

Correct.

> Should I even consider porting the nca code to CAM?
>
> I'm tempted, so are there some suggestion or advice that
> may guide me?

You're more than welcome to give it a shot.  As far as I know, no one is
working on porting that driver at the moment.

One thing to keep in mind is that there isn't much in the way of
FreeBSD-specific documentation describing the interface between the
transport layer (xpt) and the HBA drivers.

There are three things to look at:

Justin's paper on CAM from USENIX '98:

http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~gibbs/

The CAM-2 and CAM-3 specs:

http://www.symbios.com/x3t10/drafts.htm#SWLAY

And there are of course a number of other drivers that are available as
examples.  If you've got specific questions, you can probably ask Justin
Gibbs <gibbs@FreeBSD.ORG>, since he wrote most of the bottom half of the
CAM code.

Ken
--