Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:08:13 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libgnumalloc not found after 3.1-stable upgrade

> I just migrated to 3.1-stable by wiping the disk, installing the
> bin and src distributions, and then running "make -DNOAOUT world",
> followed by some reconfiguration of /etc.
>
> Everything seems to have gone OK so far, until I try and build
> some ports.  Any that rely on libgnumalloc in fact.

None should rely on gnumalloc.  Libgnumalloc is a null stub.

> I've gone through the mailing list archive, and where this has
> been a problem for other people it's because /usr/lib/compat
> wasn't in the ldconfig search path.

That's only an issue when you are trying to run an application that's
already been linked against gnumalloc.

> I've checked, this;
>
>     # ldconfig -r
>     /var/run/ld-elf.so.hints:
> 	search directories: /usr/lib:/usr/lib/compat:/usr/X11R6/lib:/usr/local/lib
>
> libgnumalloc is definitely in /usr/lib/compat, as evidenced by this output
> from file(1)
>
>     libgnumalloc.so.1.1: \
>         FreeBSD/i386 compact demand paged shared library not stripped
>
> But building a port (say, graphics/xpm) dies with

>     cc -o sxpm -O2 -fno-strength-reduce      -L/usr/X11R6/lib sxpm.o -L../lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXpm -lXt -lSM -lICE -lXext -lX11    -lgnumalloc  -Wl,-rpath,/usr/X11R6/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib
>     /usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot open -lgnumalloc: No such file or directory
>     *** Error code 1
>
>     Stop.
>
> I've re-run "ldconfig -m /usr/lib/compat" many times, but to no effect.

'ldconfig' tells you where ELF libraries will be searched.  'ldconfig
-aout' tells you where a.out libraries will be searched.

Neither has any effect on the search path used by the linker when it's
building an executable.

Firstly, xpm should not be linking against gnumalloc.  Secondly, if you
wanted it to, it will need -L <path> passed to the linker.  Thirdly,
you're trying to build an ELF libXpm, so linking against an a.out
compatability stub won't help.