Date:      Sat, 29 Jul 2000 10:12:40 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Maxim Konovalov <koma@rbc.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum striping quiestion

On Friday, 28 July 2000 at 19:21:10 +0400, Maxim Konovalov wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've got a question about vinum. There are two scsi disks with vinum
> stripe. Here is a vinum config:
>
> drive a device /dev/da2s1e
> drive b device /dev/da3s1e
> volume vinum0
> plex name vinum0.p0 org striped 1024s vol vinum0
> sd name vinum0.p0.s0 drive a plex vinum0.p0
> 	len 34791424s driveoffset 265s plexoffset 0s
> sd name vinum0.p0.s1 drive b plex vinum0.p0
> 	len 34791424s driveoffset 265s plexoffset 1024s

Please show the output of 'vinum list'.

> # uname -sr
> FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE
>
> There are not any other fs on these disks. The problem is - when I run
> iozone (iozone 4096 /logs/io0.tmp) I get a very strange result:
>
> # iostat -d da1 da3 10
>              da1              da3
>   KB/t tps  MB/s   KB/t tps  MB/s
>   0.00   0  0.00   0.00   0  0.00
>   4.50 107  0.47   0.00   0  0.00
>   4.51  98  0.43   0.00   0  0.00
>   4.50 116  0.51   0.00   0  0.00
>   4.49 117  0.52   0.00   0  0.00
>   4.50 111  0.49   0.00   0  0.00
>
> You see, there is not activity on da3. Are there any explanations?

I think this says more about iozone than it does about Vinum.  Try
running rawio instead and see what happens.

Note also that a stripe size which is a power of two is not a good
idea.  It can give rise to the kind of behaviour you report: since
cylinder groups are usually 32 MB in size, this arrangement will put
all the super blocks on the same subdisk.  Use an odd number, say 283
kB, instead.

Greg