Date:      Mon, 3 Aug 1998 10:36:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Robert D. Keys" <bsdbob@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        rdkeys@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu (User RDKEYS Robert D. Keys)
Subject:   Can 2.2.7 be manually installed on a 4 meg ram box?

I have a very nice tiny 4 meg ram decstation that I want to try to use
as a portable unix workstation.  It has 2 500meg IDE drives that I want
to use to ferry the 2.2.7 and current distributions home on.  The problem
is that I need to install some sort of small unix to do this.  I can get
the 386BSD 0.1 to run on it, but not with both drives.  I can get 2.0.5
almost up, but I think my floppy disk sets for that have become corrupted
(anyone have a 2.0.5 bin set around still?).  The later distributions such
as 2.1.7.1 and later won't install using a normal install.

Question:  How would I manually install 2.2.7 or 3.0-current on a 4 meg
           ram box, using the fixit disk?  If you know specifically how
           to do this, please reply.  I don't have the option of installing
           on the disks from another machine and then transferring the
           disks to the decstation.

Intuition tells me to 1) partition the disks
                      2) disklabel the disks
                      3) newfs the disks for /, swap, /var, /usr, /home
                      4) write the boot sector
                      5) copy a kernel
                      6) copy a miniroot FS sufficient to boot the machine
                      7) tar in a binset and extract
                      8) tar in manpages and extract

My problem is that I have most of the logic down, but not the exact
incantations.

Is there a script around somewhere that I can use as an example for
manually installing it?

Thanks

Bob Keys
rdkeys@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu