Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 1996 18:45:50 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, pst@shockwave.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, jhay@mikom.csir.co.za
Subject:   Re: Bug in libc/db/hash/hash.c???

>Well, I haven't seen it happen here yet, perhaps it only breaks if the water
>in your drain goes the wrong way?  Actually, the only reason I could imagine
>this
>occuring is if the stat failed because you didn't have permission to access
>the file, but then you DID have write permission to mess the file up.  Bizzare.

It seems to be a bugfeature in the getcap(3) library and/or in cap_mkdb.

"Cgetent will first look for files ending in .db (see cap_mkdb(1)) before
accessing the ASCII file."

termcap.db is built by `cap_mkdb termcap'.  cap_mkdb calls dbopen() first.
This creates an empty termcap.db (the same as before).  Then cap_mkdb
calls cgetnext().  It isn't clear why the empty termcap.db didn't get
used before.  Now it apparently gets used.

Bruce