Date:      Mon, 19 Oct 2015 16:03:58 -0400
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        NGie Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>, Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [RFC] importing e* (embolic, estrdup, etc) functions from NetBSD (libc/libutil or libnetbsd)?

On 19 October 2015 at 15:14, NGie Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>         While looking quickly through makefs upstream for fixing a PR, I =
realized that some years ago NetBSD has refactored a number of userland uti=
lities (including makefs) to use their new e* function implementations of m=
alloc, strndup, etc: http://man.netbsd.org/HEAD/usr/share/man/html3/efun.ht=
ml (they have some other functions that we don=E2=80=99t have in libc/libut=
il in their libutil that might need to be ported as well).

Yes, I spotted this while looking at makefs as well and I think it's
reasonable to bring them over. I would put them in libnetbsd though
until there's an actual plan to start migrating our own tools to use
them.  Moving them from libnetbsd to libutil is easy to do later on.