Date:      Sun, 02 Sep 2012 16:45:01 +0300
From:      Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wrong version of sources?

On 09/02/12 16:19, Walter Hurry wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. No, I haven't rebuilt kernel and world, nor do I
> intend to for the moment. I'm happy to stick with generic.
By using the RELENG_9 tag, you're tracking the STABLE development
branch. By pulling in the sources for the STABLE development branch and
rebuilding the kernel and the world by following the instructions given
in the Handbook, you are sticking with the GENERIC kernel configuration,
unless you build a custom kernel.

> I'm still slightly confused by this "tag" stuff though; sorry (despite
> perusal of the handbook). Are you saying that until RELENG_9_1 is made
> available I won't be able to compile kernel modules? Or that I should
> have a different tag in my standard-supfile?
That's right. RELENG_9_1 isn't available yet. The options available to
you now, as far as I can tell, are:

(1). Do not recompile the kernel and the world, if you want to track
9.1-RC, to be followed by RELENG_9_1, once it becomes available. You may
use freebsd-update(8), to keep the system up-to-date by way of binary
updates. Once release 9.1 is out, you may change RELENG_9 in your
sup-file to RELENG_9_1, and then you'll be tracking the release branch
and you'll be able to keep the kernel and the world up-to-date by way of
source updates. Use pkg_add(1) to install VBox.

(2). Stick with RELENG_9, which is the STABLE development branch. Pull
in the latest sources. Rebuild the kernel and the world. You may be
prompted to rebuild the ports installed on your system as well. Use
pkg_add(1) or the ports to install software.

If any one else on the list thinks otherwise, as they are more
experienced folk on the list than I, I'd be happy to stand corrected.

Hope the above helps.

Alexander Kapshuk.