Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:18:33 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   color, again, in grotty

OK.  Something is really broken with the latest groff.

nroff -mandoc devd.8 | more
UNTITLED                             LOCAL                            UNTITLED

ESC[1mNAMEESC[0m
     ESC[1mdevd ESC[22m- Device state change daemon

etc

Notice that it now bogusly and wrongly contains escape characters.
This is wrong wrong wrong and must be fixed.  Color is cool, but
putting it in nroff is absolutely the worst and wrongest place one can
put it.  Why is it done this way?  Can't it be fixed?

Also, I know there was a long thread about this in cvs-committers, but
that's a lame place to talk about it, so I'm restarting the
conversation here.

Warner