Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 1995 16:35:50 +0100
From:      Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
To:        Kim Culhan <kimc@w8hd.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -current changed fstab or fstab changed..

In message <Pine.BSF.3.91.950813110725.2378B-100000@moonpie.w8hd.org>, Kim Culh
an writes:
>Let me know if there is anything I can do to help track this down.

>I did a "MAKEDEV all" in the process. Are there negative effects to
>running this way?

Probably - I think MAKEDEV all will delete the old slice device files
before going on to make new device files (missing the slice entries).

Try running MAKEDEV sd0s1a (I think, assuming sd0s1 is your FreeBSD
partition) and then try mounting something from the old /etc/fstab. I
think it should work. It'd probably be safer to unmount it from the
current non-slice device before trying the slice device, as I'm not
sure what the effects would be of trying to mount the same slice, one
through the old pre-slice device, and one through the new slice device
:-)

Gary