Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:16:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      orville weyrich <weyrich_comp@yahoo.com>
To:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Has anybody EVER successfully recovered VINUM?

See below
--- Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> >> Yes, that's basically it.
> >
> > I tried that already.  It did not have the desired
> effect.  It
> > created TWO MORE plexes, that did not have disk
> space to back them
> > up (because the drives were fully allocated by the
> original
> > configuration.
>
> Correct.   This isn't the way to do it.  I've just
> posted the correct

OK -- I have gotten to the point where I have a valid
plex (I did it by installing a large, cheap IDE drive
in the system and putting an entirely new plex on it).

But when I try to mount the drive, mount complains
that the volume needs to be fscked.  Fsck refuses.  I
CAN however mount the file system and see the expected
top level directories (liberty mysql orville reform
tam).  But I cannot view contents inside the
direcotries.

(see selected transcript below).

So is my data toast, or is there a way to fsck
/dev/vinum/raid?

SELECTED TRANSCRIPT:

S raid.p3.s0            State: up       PO:        0
B Size:       2151 MB
S raid.p3.s1            State: up       PO:      512
kB Size:       2151 MB
S raid.p3.s2            State: up       PO:     1024
kB Size:       2151 MB
S raid.p3.s3            State: up       PO:     1536
kB Size:       2151 MB
S raid.p3.s4            State: up       PO:     2048
kB Size:       2151 MB
S raid.p3.s5            State: up       PO:     2560
kB Size:       2151 MB
S raid.p3.s6            State: up       PO:     3072
kB Size:       2151 MB
S raid.p3.s7            State: up       PO:     3584
kB Size:       2151 MB
S raid.p3.s8            State: up       PO:     4096
kB Size:       2151 MB
S raid.p3.s9            State: up       PO:     4608
kB Size:       2151 MB
vinum -> quit
bashful# mount /dev/vinum/raid /raid
WARNING: R/W mount of /raid denied.  Filesystem is not
clean - run fsck
mount: /dev/vinum/raid: Operation not permitted
bashful# fsck /dev/vinum/raid
** /dev/vinum/raid
BAD SUPER BLOCK: VALUES IN SUPER BLOCK DISAGREE WITH
THOSE IN FIRST ALTERNATE
/dev/vinum/raid: NOT LABELED AS A BSD FILE SYSTEM
(unused)
bashful# mount -r /dev/vinum/raid /raid
bashful# ls /raid
liberty mysql   orville reform  tam