Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 09:33:27 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        takawata@shidahara1.planet.sci.kobe-u.ac.jp
Cc:        Nick Hibma <hibma@skylink.it>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newbus and modem(s)

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999 takawata@shidahara1.planet.sci.kobe-u.ac.jp wrote:

> In message <Pine.BSF.3.96.990418205350.3261E-100000@heidi.plazza.it>, Nick Hibm
> a wrote:
> >> Why would I say it wasn't ready? Because outside of core (apparently),
> >> nobody was warned/told that this was going to be committed in a few
> >> days/hours/minutes.
>
> >I've ported the newconfig style USB code of NetBSD to FreeBSD and I
> >really prefer the newbus style, because it is truly dynamic.
>
> Simple Question.
> If there were 'Closed'-Host-Controller-Interface with object-only driver,
> Can the vendor make the Host controller  recognized without changing
> usb.c code?
>
> #That's what frustrated me while writing driver for smbus controller.

It really depends on the nature of the bus. For plug-and-play style busses
such as USB and PCI, the controller can decide what devices exist without
the help of drivers and can then uniquely match them with the right
driver.  This trivially allows drivers to be added after the system is
running.

For 'manual' style busses, the creation of devices is generally controlled
by hints. To create a new device for a new driver, it would be necessary
to add the hint information for the new device and prompt the controller
to add it. This isn't quite there yet but will be needed soon for
dynamically adding devices (e.g. /usr/bin/joy).

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com