Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 10:25:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Pine crashes -current with page fault while in kernel mode

Hi,

I've been seeing this crash for a while now but only yesterday was I
finally able to see useful output on the console and get into ddb to help
track this one down.

I'm running -current as of 11/19 (~21:00 PST) on a 300MHz Pentium II with
128 MB RAM, 2940UW SCSI, and Intel EtherExpress Pro/100B.  Pine will
reliably crash my system while scrolling through any long e-mail message
that I am in the process of composing (and never while viewing any long
messages that I have received).  This occurs regardless of whether pine is
running in an xterm or vt.  /var/mail is an NFSv3 mounted filesystem
located on an Auspex fileserver (network is fully switched
100BaseT/full-duplex, not trying to brag but it is very nice!).

I'm not a ddb wiz but I was able to write down on paper the following
info from ddb following the crash:

panic: vm_fault: fault on nofault entry, addr: f35b3000
Dubugger("panic")
Stopped at _Debugger+0x35: movb  $0,_in_Debugger.98

fault virtual address = 0x65007870
fault code            = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer   = 0x8:0xf01b3380
stack pointer         = 0x10:0xf540aab8
frame pointer         = 0x10:0xf540aac8
code segment          = base 0x10, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                      = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags      = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process       = 229 (pine)
interrupt mask        =
kernel: type 12 trap, code = 0
Stopped at _Debugger+0x35: movb  $0,_in_Debugger.98

a "show trace" seemed to indicate the trap occurred just after an
nfs_write.

If there are any commands I could execute in ddb to get additional
useful information about the crash please let me know so I can help
get this one fixed!

Many thanks for your help,

Tom