Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 1995 11:40:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        hackers list FreeBSD <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Cc:        terry@lambert.org
Subject:   re: QUOTAS...

Recently, T. Lambert said:
{
Limit the way in which you use quotas.  Don't run multiple instances of
edquota.  Turn quota's off before running edquota and back on when you
are done editing.  Use the quotactl(2) interface to turn quotas on using
specific file paths to put the quota files on the drives where quotas
are being enforced (ie: get rid of the 'userquota' option and turn
them on manually per fs in your /etc/rc after they've been mounted.
That should keep you away from at least the known failure modes.
}

Regarding what you said about the 'userquota' option, I was under the
impression that quotas weren't turned on at mount-time, but only when the
'quotaon' command is invoked.  Am I wrong?

Are you suggesting that it is safer if, instead of using the 'userquota'
option and 'quotaon', we write a small program that turns quotas on using the
quotactl(2) routine?

thanks,
---
  Charles Owens					 Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                       "I read somewhere to learn is to
  Information Technology Services     remember... and I've learned that
  Eastern Nazarene College            we've all forgot..."   - King's X