Date:      Fri, 18 Dec 1998 16:27:22 +0100
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren?= Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Oracle for Linux on FreeBSD [was: Re: Linux Threads patches available]

"Søren Schmidt" wrote:

> It seems Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> >
> > I currently have Oracle for Linux running on my FreeBSD-current machine (the
> > server, that is). Unfortunately I am not able to start any listeners. They
> > fail on the IPC protocal adapter. I'll check out the pipe fixes...
> >
> > I had to fix (was it boken?) the linux emulator. Oracle sends a signal 0
> > (null) to it's first child (monitor process). "kill(pid, 0)" returns EINVAL,
> > which Oracle does not expect. This problem is addressed in PR 9082.
>
> Tried this out allready, it doesn't help the install process, its still
> dies. Back to ktrace again :)

That's because the install process fails for a completely different reason.
You may want to apply the following hack:

*** rdbms/install/rdbms/rdbms.vrf.orig  Sat Dec  5 14:35:42 1998
--- rdbms/install/rdbms/rdbms.vrf       Sat Dec  5 14:46:31 1998
***************
*** 2999,3005 ****
        }

          /* Get the dba group from the user. */
!         group_list=unix_get_groups();

          /* This is to circumvent a getgroups problem on some platforms */
          if (not(member(group_list, Group)))
--- 2999,3006 ----
        }

          /* Get the dba group from the user. */
!       group_list=list();
!       add(group_list, default_dba_group);

          /* This is to circumvent a getgroups problem on some platforms */
          if (not(member(group_list, Group)))

The hack merely avoids the use of unix_get_groups(), which crashes the
install process just before the point when it should install the RDBMS. The
hack just creates a list in which "dba" is the sole group of which the oracle
user is a member.

The install program still fails to relink any binaries when you use the
linux_lib and linux_devel ports. I removed those ports and installed the
following Redhat packages (not all packages are important, especially tcl and
tk):

bash-2.02-1.i386.rpm
binutils-2.9.1.0.7-1.i386.rpm
filesystem-1.3.1-3.noarch.rpm
fileutils-3.16-9.i386.rpm
gcc-2.7.2.3-11.i386.rpm
glib-1.0.1-3.i386.rpm
glibc-2.0.7-17.i386.rpm
glibc-devel-2.0.7-17.i386.rpm
grep-2.2-2.i386.rpm
info-3.12-6.i386.rpm
kernel-headers-2.0.34-3.i386.rpm
kernel-source-2.0.34-3.i386.rpm
ld.so-1.9.5-7.i386.rpm
ldconfig-1.9.5-3.i386.rpm
libc-5.3.12-27.i386.rpm
libtermcap-2.0.8-9.i386.rpm
make-3.76.1-3.i386.rpm
ncurses-4.2-6.i386.rpm
rpm-2.5.2-1.i386.rpm
setup-1.9.1-2.noarch.rpm
tcl-8.0.2-17.i386.rpm
termcap-9.12.6-11.noarch.rpm
tk-8.0.2-17.i386.rpm
zlib-1.1.2-2.i386.rpm

You can compile the Redhat package tool (rpm-2.5.1.tar.gz) under native
FreeBSD...

marcel

PS: I've a hacked version of kdump which uses the Linux syscall tables. If
you're (or anybody else, for that matter) interested, I can send it to the
mailinglist. It's a hack. Nothing fancy. It's just that it prevents you (or
others) for doing it again...