Date:      Fri, 15 May 1998 11:38:59 +0200
From:      Pierre.Beyssac@hsc.fr (Pierre Beyssac)
To:        itojun@itojun.org (Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh)
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: INRIA IPv6 on FreeBSD

According to Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh:
> 	I'm now looking into INRIA for FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE (4/29/98 I think)
> 	but I see both sys/netinet/tcp_input.c and sys/netinet/tcp6_input.c,
> 	which are almost identical.
> 	Am I mistaking something, or obsoleted source is left in the tree?

What you're seeing is the "older" implementation. They only did the
sharing for NetBSD yet. I have no idea how much work it would be port
this to FreeBSD-current (or even 2.2.x), but that would certainly
be interesting.

> 	WIDE stack is also thinking about tcp4/6 and udp4/6 merge too and
> 	about good/bad points of merged one and separate one.  Problem for
> 	us is that we have to do the merge for FreeBSD, NetBSD and BSDI
> 	separately (since they modified tcp/udp code separately...)

Yes, I experienced that too: even between FreeBSD 2.2.5 and -current,
you have substantial differences, especially in the TCP code organization.
The ones I remember are:

	- PCB hash table
	- tcp_rspsomething vs tcp_respond
	- usrreq handling (switch vs function table)
	- multicast addresses recognition
	- little details such as time_second/getmicrotime stuff

and there are certainly a couple of others I forget about.
Adapting all this is not very difficult but it takes some work and
checking. I haven't finished checking yet there are no places I left
some older code.
--
Pierre.Beyssac@hsc.fr