Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 1995 13:42:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Something is wrong with fsck...

> As Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> >
> > and the manpage references fsdb(8) ...
>
> I once started to create an fsdb, but didn't get much far.
>
> What would people like to have done there?  Perhaps, if there's a
> reasonable interest, i could put it on my personal list of things that
> ``might be done some day''.

Add it to /usr/src/TODO, it would be nice to have it some day, and
this would be an idea project for someone takeing a cource in
filesystems!!

> The old fsdb as i've seen it on some SysV-alike systems had a terrible
> syntax.  When going for a rewrite, i'd prefer somethin more rationale.

YES!  fsdb was a *bear* to use.

> But it's always bothering me that the only chance to get a file system
> fsck'd is to answer all the questions there with the defaults (making
> it effectively behave identical to an ``fsck -y''), no chance to even
> correct something.

Well.. when I get one that I wan't to fix as best I can I first run
a fsck -n >/someplacesafe and then look it over real carefully.  You
can recover things by answering N to the clear inode stuff and then
it should get picked up later and stuck in lost+found.  It really
depends on what the damage looks like.

This can be especially usefull with multiple allocated inodes.