Date:      Sat, 09 Jun 2012 21:25:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Waitman Gobble" <uzimac@da3m0n8t3r.com>
To:        "Waitman Gobble" <uzimac@da3m0n8t3r.com>
Cc:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BCM94313

--bound1339302352

Waitman Gobble <uzimac@da3m0n8t3r.com> wrote ..
> Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org> wrote ..
> > Hi,
> >
> > The AR9485 isn't yet supported, sorry. It's on my TODO list, but I
> > have some major driver locking issues to sort out before I work on
> > AR93xx/AR94xx/AR95xx SoC and wifi support.
> >

> > Adrian
>
> thanks for the heads up, i'll go hunt for that page and make sure it was the 9485,
> i might have the number wrong.:)
> BCM4313 isn't listed in bwn man page, it might not work.. ndis needs xp driver
> (64 bit) and not finding it.
> I might need to check on a Realtek option.
>
> --
> Waitman Gobble
> San Jose California USA

the AR9285G is on the whitelist published in the dv6 maintenance and repair manual on the hp site.
at least one person on a newsgroup claims the wireless card also has to be hp branded, i'll check it out.
i didn't realize the HP wireless whitelist has been going on for like a decade. there are many complaints and supposedly lawsuits

there are some options around it

hacking the bios
installing a pre-hacked/"clean" bios
soldering a switch on the IDSEL pin on the card and turning the pin 'on' after POST
replacing bios with coreboot

my favorite option is using an atheros card that is on the whitelist

as i understand hp claims that using non-hp branded wireless cards which are not on their whitelist are in violation of FCC rules, federal law or something like that.

thanks.

--
Waitman Gobble
San Jose California USA