Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 1997 19:11:08 -0800
From:      Lawrence Shing <shing@sag.space.lockheed.com>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Cc:        shing@sag.space.lockheed.com
Subject:   AEDSP16

Hello there,

I am trying to install a 16 bit soundcard (Diamond Technologies) if that
is of any relevance.  Anyhow, it is a software configured soundcard, so it
seems that AEDSP16 might wack the card in place so that it will perform
MSS0 protocols.  The documentation for the card states that it is an MSS
compatible card, but when I config BSD for MSS0 at at the default settings
for the card, BSD cannot find it.  You know, it says MSS0 not found at 0x220
message.

So, I was poking around the source code for the sound stuff, and started
reading about AEDSP16.  I have no idea if InitAEDSP16 will initialize the
DT card properly, but that's what the source code suggests to try first, before
changing the init commands in the code.

The question I had was:

Where do I insert the InitAEDSP16 call?  It is supposed to be done before the
probes for the sound devices.  I can modify the files.i386 to include
aedsp16.c source whenever I include a 'snd*' device.  But, I cannot figure out
a good place to insert InitAEDSP16.

Lawrence Shing