Date:      Wed, 12 Sep 2012 13:01:19 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Ian Lepore <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Removing CVS from HEAD

Ian Lepore wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-09-11 at 17:44 +0200, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> >     A newcomer will ask the same sceptical questions of FreeBSD as of
> >     other UX's: "How much time must I lose on this UX before I'll
> >     get back to a Unix environment with tools I'm used to from other
> > Unixes ?"
> >
> > I installed 3 different Linux last week, it was a reminder,
> > how I saw them, as to how others trying FreeBSD may equally see ours,
> > & decide to pass on, or stay.
>

> Did each of those install cvs as part of the base system?

I didn't look,  (I was looking re. our ABI & acroread).

> If not, then what is the point you're trying to make?

Specificly:
  Removing CVS from src/ will be easily recoverable for
  commited FreeBSD users, but will degrade FreeBSD for some
  visitors from other Unixes & ex BSD people tentatively returning.

Generaly:
  At the stage one tries new Unixes, if too many things are missing
  &/or too much trouble to learn what & how & where changed, & how
  to restore; Rather than lose a lot of time on docs, mail lists
  etc, it's easy to decide: "Probably much else changed or missing
  too, I'll lose too much time to revert it to a working Unix
  environment. Try next OS."

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultant, Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, like a play script.  Indent old text with "> ".