Date:      Fri, 05 Jul 2002 17:48:58 -0600
From:      Lorin Lund <wbs@infowest.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, "uwi mAn" <uwiman3k@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: bsd as answering machine

I would think you would do better with a voice/fax modem than
with a sound card.  A modem has all the stuff you need to monitor
the phone line, detect ringing, respond to ringing, you can play
a prerecorded sound and record messages.  The modem will even
recognize touch tones for you.  If you choose to go that way and
can't find the command set for recording and play back let me know
I think I have them stored somewhere.