Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 1997 18:04:47 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        rivers@dignus.com (Thomas David Rivers)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: More on silo overflows...

> I think I've found the association that causes my silo overflows
> at 38400 on a P75.
>
> It seems that everytime I use syscons' screen-flipping feature to
> bounce to another virtual screen - I get a silo overflow.
>
> Perhaps this points the suspicious finger at syscons?  Is it disabling
> interrupts for some long period of time?

Most likely, it is the time needed to reprogram the keyboard LED's
that is screwing you.

IMO, this does not need to happen at SPL with a buzz-loop delay;
you should be able to get rid of one or the other (or both).  The
problem with getting rid of the buzz-loop delay is that it
requires good timer code.  Only NetBSD, OpenBSD, and Linux
have implemented my timer suggestions.  8-|.

You may want to see if the LED state is the same, and if so, if
it will still cause the error (people generally work with one
set of key states).  It may be that you can cache state and
toggle only things which have changed between sessions, if
syscons does not do this already.  You could try to trigger the
error by starting an FTP and bouncing numlock or capslock like
mad.  If the error doesn't trigger, then a single LED isn't
enough to blow it.

You may also consider seperating the programming into three phases
in which you alow interrupts between them.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.