Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 1996 00:47:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
Cc:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Hmmm, OK, SMC driver is the de driver. Is it broke?

On Sun, 14 Apr 1996, David Greenman wrote:

> >Well, I punted and went to -current, and it seems to be just fine.  I
> >think something is broke in -stable.  Dropping back to a kernel from
> >around Mar 15th works fine as well, but 3/23 and 4/11 both fail miserably.
>
>    Do you use NFS? Do you have it and all other filesystems that you use
> specified in your kernel config file? The only significant change I can think
> of that was made to -stable in that time period was a change to vnode.h to
> change the size of some fields. If you have *any* LKMs that haven't been
> rebuilt, this will cause the system to fail.

    I tried upgrading our 2.1.0R Web/FTP server machine to 2.2-960323-SNAP
(see my message "Subject: pmap_zero_page and kmem_malloc panics"), but
I'm getting an "unimplemented trap" kernel panic as soon as it tries
to ifconfig the de0 interface.  It doesn't matter whether
/etc/netstart calls it, or if I type it in from a single-user shell.
That may not be the exact panic message, but I can double-check that
when I'm at work tomorrow.  The panic occurred in this region of the
kernel:

f01ab180 F trap.o
f01ab310 T _trap
f01ab794 t _trap_pfault
f01abb0c t _trap_fatal           <--- inside this routine
f01abdd8 T _dblfault_handler
f01abe24 T _trapwrite
f01abf04 T _syscall

    At first I had only upgraded the kernel and the lkm's to the
snapshot, then I completely reinstalled the OS.  No go either way.
The machine is now back to 2.1.0R (after much grumbling of users and
admin alike).

    I checked the if_de.c code in both 960323 and -current as of April
16, and both have the same revision number (1.44).  Has something else
changed?  Should I try -stable or even -current?

    The kernel config file used to build the 2.2 kernel is the exact
same one used to build the 2.1 kernel.  NFS is compiled in.  Any
ideas?

machine         "i386"
cpu             "I586_CPU"
ident           WWW
maxusers        128

options         INET
options         FFS
options         NFS
options         MSDOSFS
options         PROCFS
options         QUOTA
options         "COMPAT_43"
options         "SCSI_DELAY=5"
options         SCSIDEBUG
options         SCSI_REPORT_GEOMETRY
options         UCONSOLE
options         SYSVSHM
options         SYSVSEM
options         SYSVMSG
options         PROBE_VERBOSE
options         "NMBCLUSTERS=8192"
options         "OPEN_MAX=1024"
options         "CHILD_MAX=512"
options         "MAXMEM=131072"

config          kernel  root on sd0

controller      isa0
controller      pci0

controller      fdc0    at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk            fd0     at fdc0 drive 0

controller      scbus0
controller      ncr0
device          sd0

device          vt0     at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector pcrint
options         "PCVT_FREEBSD=210"
device          npx0    at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr
device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device          sio1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr

device          de0

pseudo-device   loop
pseudo-device   ether
pseudo-device   log
pseudo-device   pty             32
pseudo-device   bpfilter        4

--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org)
Systems and Network Administrator, Internex Online Inc.