Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 10:11:52 +0100 (MET)
From:      Jean-Francois Dockes <jean-francois.dockes@wanadoo.fr>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?q?Graham=20Guttocks?= <graham_guttocks@yahoo.co.nz>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: my first coaster with cdrecord/FreeBSD :-(

David Kelly writes:
 > =?iso-8859-1?q?Graham=20Guttocks?= writes:
 > > "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org> wrote:
 > >
 > > > This looks like a bad block on the CD.  Thus the reason it worked
 > > > when you tried again with a new CD.  (Which is probably the right
 > > > approach to take to fix the problem.)
 > >
 > > Uhm, ok.  I guess I find this hard to swallow since this was a
 > > high-quality CD-R, brand-new from its case.
 >
 > In previous employment we were going thru about 500 CD-R blanks/year.
 > One bad out of 12 isn't good, but also isn't a large enough sample size
 > to say. Some lots of blanks are simply lemons. Its not as if they can
 > do 100% testing from the factory.  :-)

My current employer went through >1.5 million discs this year :)

In my experience, pure optical media problems are relatively infrequent,
except for the already mentioned case of the bit of plastic stuck to the
disc by static (or the fingerprints).

The most probable situation when you see a transient writing failure is
that you have a slightly marginal recorder meeting slightly marginal
media. The recorder will work fine on perfect media, and other media from
the marginal batch will work well on a healthy recorder. This makes for
very difficult problem solving. When you are lucky, the recorder will go
completely south a little after, and you'll stop pulling your hair...

Of course, there are also cases of really bad (out of spec) media, just to
make for a richer fun.

But keep smiling: you are working with 1$ discs. It was much more fun a few
years ago, when trying to diagnose 12" optical media that costed around
$1000, on recorders in the 20,000 $ range, that would fail much more than
the current cd burners :) Especially on big banking customer sites...

--
Jean-Francois Dockes                    jean-francois.dockes@wanadoo.fr