Date:      Sat, 29 Mar 2008 21:10:17 -0600
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   gjournal....

Hi folks;

Wondering about the various pros and cons of using the "gjournal" GEOM
provider... and if you can "promote" and existing system using it, or
whether you need to build something anew.

The scenario is a fairly busy and large system with PostgreSQL database data
on it.  The data is currently on a 2-disk gmirror pair to provide data
safety in the event of a disk failure.

I am using softupdates right now.

If I'm reading the docs correctly, I can't put gjournal in use on the
existing filesystem, and need to effectively build a new disk structure then
copy over the data onto it.

Can you boot from a gjournal'd root?

Ideas please, pros and cons of the various alternatives, etc..... thanks!

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net	My home on the net - links to everything I do!
http://scubaforum.org		Your UNCENSORED place to talk about DIVING!
http://genesis3.blogspot.com	Musings Of A Sentient Mind